Embedded questions are questions within another statement or question. They function as noun clauses and as such should generally follow statement, not question, order.
1. What is he trying to tell me? (Question Order)
2. He is trying to tell me something. (Statement Order)
3. I don’t know what he is trying to tell me. (Embedded question – following Statement Order.)
4. How does he do that? (Question)
5. He does that in a way nobody can tell. (Statement)
6. I am puzzled as to how he does that. (Embeded question)
See http://free-english-study.com/grammar/embedded-questions.html for more details.
** 版權所有 - Elisa