1. Happen to (meaning: by chance)
I happened to see her in the mall
=> I saw her in the mall by chance.
2. High time (meaning: the appropriate time or past the appropriate time)
It's high time that he got out of bed.
=> He has slept for too long. It is time for him to get out of the bed.
The phrase "It is high/about time + past verb" is used to complain about or criticize something or someone:
- It is time that the Obama government took the actions.
- It is about time that the Obama government took the actions.
- It is high time that the Obama government took the actions.
3. Hard put (meaning: in great perplexity or difficulty)
We were hard put to finish the examination in one hour.
=> We worked very hard to finish the examination in an hour.
** 版權所有 - Elisa.